Fact: Animal Agriculture is the leading cause of animal & Insect extinction!
110 species are lost every day due to deforestation, to make way for growing grain for feed or making more space for more livestock.
The environmental impact of meat production, particularly for beef has reached epic scale & proportion. It poses a continuous threat to our natural resources, with our ever-increasing population and the must-have meat mentality.
Did you know:
Red meat compared to pork & poultry requires:
28 times more land to graze & rear
11 times more water to produce the end product
5 times more climate-warming emissions in the process!
With this in mind, my Sustarianism feels like a worthwhile switch.
It was minced beef that brought me to this recipe. I was looking for a family sized vegetarian tray bake that would satisfy our Sunday dinner needs. In the past, we would have used minced beef, but on my meatless mission, I was looking for a more environmentally friendly alternative.
This one hit the spot. It takes a little preparation, but well worth the effort, the portion was also big enough to allow for some leftovers for dinner the next evening. I just re-pimped it & padded it out by adding more vegetables.
#reasonstobehappy about my Sustarian ways.
- 300g Medium sized potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 150g Beetroot, cooked and sliced
- 200ml Vegetable stock
- 1 pack of Quorn mince
- 1 chopped Onion
- 1 carrot
- A few mushrooms
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 50-70g Blue cheese
- 100g Grated cheese
- A few sprigs of Oregano and Thyme chopped (or dried: 1 teaspoon of each)
- White Pepper
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes
- Pre-heat oven 200oc/ gas mark 6
- Place in a pan of salted water and parboil for 8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, run under cold water to cool off.
- I am using some left-over cooked beetroot. Thinly Sliced
- Chop the onion, carrot, and garlic & gently fry in oil for approx 4 minutes
- Once soft, add the mushrooms, fry further until brown.
- In a 30cm ovenproof glass dish, place the fried vegetable mix
- Pour over the olive oil.
- Add the uncooked pack of Quorn mince
- Sprinkle the herbs & chai seeds, season with white pepper.
- Pour over 200ml boiled vegetable stock. Gently stir the other ingredients together in the dish.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes and beetroot on top
- Drizzle with olive oil and a few remaining herbs, season to your own liking
- Crumble/ Scatter both the cheeses evenly on top
- Place in the oven at 200oc and bake for 30 - 35 mins