Vegan Fairy Cakes, for my daughter who celebrated her Birthday today……& why not?!
Special request: She wanted windmills on top!
I’ve never made Vegan cakes of any description before, so this was my first attempt. Switching out the usual eggs & butter for soya yoghurt & organic vegetable oil. These little fluffy bites of loveliness, made a big impression on both myself & my daughter. Easy to make, didn’t miss the butter, and was impressed with the light crumbly texture 0f these sweet little treats!
This batch makes around 14 – 16 fairy cakes. You could also make bigger cupcakes, this batch size would make between 6-8 (don’t forget to bake them a little longer if you make cupcakes!)
Author: Kaylie Kist
Serves: 14-16 fairy cakes
- 250g Soya yoghurt
- 150g Caster sugar
- 150g GMO free self-raising flour
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Line a fairy cake tin with paper cases
- Preheat the oven to 150oc /gas mark 3
- Whisk the yoghurt, sunflower oil and vanilla extract together in a mixing bowl.
- Then mix in the sugar
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder to the mix and beat together until the mixture comes together
- Carefully spoon a little into each paper case
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until just firm on top
- Allow to cool
- Make the iced topping with 3 heaped tablespoons of Icing sugar, adding warm water, little y little until you have the consistency you require
- If you go wild with the water, and ht mix becomes too runny, sift in more icing sugar!
- Colour to your liking and decorate with sprinkles of your choice.