Basic Pasta Recipie
Author: Kaylie Kist
Recipe type: Pasta
- 340g Tipo 00 flour
- 160g semolina flour
- Large pinch of salt
- 3 large organic eggs and 2 egg yolks, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- (if the mixture is still too dry with 2 yolks, add a third!)
- For the pasta dough
- Mix the ingredients on a lightly floured surface, then knead the dough, incorporating additional flour as necessary, until smooth and flexible (minimum 20 minutes)
- Mix the ingredients using a food processor, blending the flour and eggs until the mixture just begins to form a ball. Depending on the size of the eggs, it might be necessary to add more or less flour in order to obtain a soft but not sticky dough.
- Tip: The dough can be used immediately but may be made 1 hour in advance and covered with a cotton tea towel. This resting period relaxes the gluten in the dough and makes it much easier to roll it.
- To roll the pasta dough:
- Set the smooth rollers of a pasta machine on widest setting.
- Cut the dough into several pieces. Flatten one piece of dough into a rectangle and feed through the rollers.
- Fold the rectangle in three and feed through the rollers. Then fold again in half, roll and repeat 3 or 4 more times.
- Fold each time and dust with flour (but only if necessary) to prevent sticking.
- Turn dial down to next (narrower) setting and feed the dough through rollers without folding. Continue to feed the dough through, without folding, making the space between the rollers narrower each time, until the narrowest setting is reached.
- Arrange the sheet of pasta on a dry flat surface or a large wooden board.
- Roll out the remaining dough in the same manner.
- The pasta should dry for 5 minutes and up to 30 min. before cutting.
- Fit the tagliatelle cutter to the pasta machine and feed the sheets through the cutter. Return the pasta pieces to the wooden board or hang on an air dryer if you have one.( I’ve been known to use a coat hanger) Dry. at least 10 min. before cooking.
- For Ravioli
- Using a hand cutter, cut pieces of pasta to size and fill.