Broccoli and Blue Cheese soup. The perfect Saturday sustenance.
I made this soup, as it’s cold, wet and drizzling outside. I needed something heartwarmingly healthy to accompany the Rustic Courgette, Carrot & Seeded Loaf I made with my daughter. This sophisticated soup has hidden depths of blue cheese creaminess and surprising pecan crunches.
The vegetables were bought from our local organic farm shop, keeping our purchases close to home, not only helps the environment but also allows us to actually see where they were grown!
Also using up the cheese leftovers from the Portobello Mushroom with Pecan, Kale & Blue cheese Crumble I made the other day. #leftoverlover
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 400ml Vegetable stock
- 3 sticks of celery, chopped
- ½ Lime finely grated zest - keep the juice
- 300/400g broccoli, broken into florets
- 100g Blue cheese + 50g for topping(if desired)
- 75 ml Soya cream
- 30g Pecans
- Make the vegetable stock (Boiling water+ 1 Tablespoon of Veg bouillon powder)
- Using a dry frying pan, heat, add the fennel seeds and toast.
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium-sized pan
- Sauté the garlic, celery & spring onion until transparent (approx 3 mins)
- Add the toasted fennel seeds
- Then add 400ml of vegetable stock
- Chop the broccoli into large florets / chunks (including the stalk) Drop into the water
- Grate in lime zest and squeeze in the lime juice
- Leave to simmer for seven minutes.
- Add the Blue cheese and mix in for 1 minute
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the soya milk
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender.
- Add the pecan nuts, saving one or two back for decoration
- Blitz, and serve with the remaining crumbled blue cheese/ or pecan/ or both on top