Beating the Bloat with Buckwheat Banana Bread
Watching Bananas slowly turning black is always a sad & sorry sight, so when I spotted 3 flagging in the fruit bowl – I knew exactly what they needed to transform them into something health shatteringly good.
The lustrous batter, combined with the sweet ripe bananas laced with cinnamon and spice will have you breaking down the oven door to get a slice.
Not only is this the perfect offering to strangers coming to view your home with an eye to buy as the warm wafts of cinnamon could definitely help put a sale in sight – It’s a healthy protein packed powerhouse of a loaf.
Bake this during the weekend, double up and then you can freeze half. This way you get to enjoy guilt-free snacks all week, skip the cookies and grab a slice of this healthy banana bread to help beat the bloat!
Facts and Flavours:
Buckwheat has a wealth of health benefits including the ability to reduce blood pressure, management of diabetes, improved digestion and cholesterol levels, boost the immune system, help with the elimination of gallstones, provide protection from asthma attacks, and relief from constipation and other intestinal conditions…quite a list.
These benefits can mostly be attributed to the density of proteins, minerals and antioxidant compounds found in buckwheat.
Though it is usually thought of as a grain, Buckwheat is actually the seed of a plant related to the rhubarb family.
It’s high in specific essential amino acids in which other major cereal crops are deficient. It has a very low Glycaemic index and contains no gluten, therefore safe for people with gluten allergy or celiac disease. Convinced yet?
I like my Bread just out of the oven, smeared with rich Almond Butter – How do you like yours?
Top tip: Cut into slices before you freeze.
- 235g Organic Buckwheat flour
- 135 Coconut sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chai seed
- ½ Teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 180g Natural thick yoghurt
- 3 Ripe mashed bananas
- 1 Large egg
- 60g Maple Syrup
- 20ml Rapeseed oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon mixed spices
- Pre heat the oven to 160oc
- Sift the flour and the coconut sugar into the mixing bowl
- Weigh and add all of the other 'dry' ingredients:
- Baking powder, bicarb, chai seeds, spices
- In a separate bowl weigh all the 'wet' ingredients:
- Egg, yoghurt, maple syrup, rapeseed oil
- Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl
- Mix thoroughly
- Add the mashed bananas
- Mix until a glossy thick bread batter is formed
- Place in the oven for approx 1 hour at 160oc
- I used a gas oven with the air circulating.
- Prod the bread with a metal skewer, if you pull it out clean, the bread is ready
- if not, bake a little longer and check progress every 10 mins with the skewer
- Slice & serve with slick of almond butter