I need an Energy Bon!
Sometimes, I need that extra boost to get me through a busy day. If I have a hectic couple of weeks coming up, I batch make these power-packed Energy Bon Bon’s to help recharge my lagging body batteries with pure plant power. They save me from that automatic, stress-related reaching for the biscuit tin behaviour! Super simple to make, they last all week (refrigerated) and are my go-to survival food this summer.
Feel the plant- power
Packed with sticky Medjool dates, oats, seeds, nuts and cacao nibs and smothered with intense dark chocolate they help you blast through your day in an explosive, plant-powered kinda way. You can skip the chocolate coating if you find it too fiddly, and feel free to experiment with the ingredients to find your perfect Energy Bon Bon.
- 6 large Medjool dates, pitted (about ½ cup packed pitted dates)
- 2½ tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 150g 72% dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, stir oats, chia seeds and cacao nibs together. Set aside.
- Add dates and water to the bowl. Using a food processor whizz a few times until dates begin to break down and form a paste.
- Next, add the maple syrup, vanilla and peanut butter; process again until it begins to look like a wet cookie dough and ingredients are well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, you can (1: without chocolate) form into balls. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. (Balls will last for 5-7 days or can be frozen for up to a month) or (2: with chocolate coating)
- Melt the dark chocolate, coat the inside of a silicon mould with a thin layer of chocolate, rolling it around to ensure the sides are coated.
- Place in the freezer to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using the mixture, fill the inside of each form and press down gently until the mixture is compact.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate over the top to seal the Bon Bon's.
- Place in a fridge for around 1 hour.
- Remove the Bon Bon's from the mould, once the outer chocolate is set.
- Store in an air-tight container.